Welcome to my blog

I like to know if anyone is looking at my blog so please comment, if you can think of something, to say or e-mail me at madsmckeever@eircom.net

Friday, August 28, 2009

Battered bottle gourd and fried green tomatoes

This is what we had for Supper. The green tomato seeds were brought back from France, last year, by my friend Bridget. The variety is Evergreen and they are sweet and tasty inspite of their colour. This year she brought me back some buckwheat flour, which was the base of the batter.










I didn't think Bottle Gourds would thrive outside, but as I had a few plants too many for the polytunnel, I tried them in a gap on the bean trellis. They love it out there, however, they have refused to climb the strings I put up for them and persist in smothering the beans. I had read that they were edible when small, and came across areference to battering and eating Lagenaria while blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment